Thursday 8 July 2021

How to make a rain gauge

 How to make a rain gauge 

1.    empty 1.5 liters plastic bottle 

2.   Then scissors 

3.   A few handfuls of pebbles , gravel or marbles 

4.   You need masking tape

5.   You need a ruler

6.   permanent marker


Instructions 


Cut around the top of the bottle just before it begins to narrow. 

 Put the top pierce of the bottle to the side. #

Place the pebbles, gravel or marbles into the bottom piece of the bottle. 

 Take the top pierce of the bottle, turn it upside down and place it inside the bottom pierce of the bottle. Make sure there is no cap attached. 

 Line up the cut edges and tape them together so the top piece is held firmly in place. 

Cut enough tape to run from the top of the bottle to the bottle and stick it down. 

Line up the ruler against the tape and draw a small mark just above the pebbles. This will be a measurement . 

 Continue marking in mm or cm measurements up the side of the tape. 

Place the bottle on a level surface and pour water through the top until it reaches zero. 


Your rain gauge is ready to measure rainfall: 

Find a location outdoors that is open to the sky but not in a wind prone area. 

Monitor tour rain gauge on a daily basis as evaporation will occur. Top up with water if needed . 





9 comments:

  1. Kia ora Bailey my name is Jade, I am a year 8 student at Paihia School. I really like your blog post about “How to make a rain gauge“ because you added what you need to make a rain gauge and how to do it step by step. What was your favourite part about making a blog post about how to make a rain gauge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bailey, Aj here from room 7. I really like this blog post you have published. What was your favorite part in the making of this blog post and I also learned a new thing from this wonderful post. Keep up the great work.

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey, I'm Tabby from Ahipara school. Great job on this work. The instructions were really detailed and you included all the steps. Did you get to choose what you wrote instructions for. Maybe next time you could add photos? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi Bailey, my name is Angela and I am a year 8 student at Paihia School. I like your blog post because you explained your instructions very precise and understandable. I also like your post because you said where to put your rain gauge and where not to put your rain gauge. Did you decide to make a rain gauge for a project for something?
    Bye Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bailey.I like your blog post because you explained your instructions very precise and understandable. I also like your post because you said where to put your rain gauge and where not to put your rain gauge. Did you decide to make a rain gauge for a project for something?

    regards Tasmah



    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bailey i really liked your how to make a rain gauge it was really helpful this teached me how to save water keep up the good work Kia Kaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia ora Bailey, my name is Jayden and I’m a year 8 from Paihia School. I really like your post because you said where to put your rain gauge and where not to put your rain gauge. I also like your blog post about “How to make a rain gauge“ because you added what you need to make a rain gauge and how to do it step by step.
    I've never done anything similar to this blog post before.
    Did you decide to make a rain gauge for a project for something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kia ora Bailey, I'm Eli from Ahipara School. I really like your post about how to make a rain gauge. Maybe next time you can add some colour and bold out your writing anyways Blog ya later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ia ora Bailey, my name is Calais and I’m a year 8 from Paihia School. I really like your post because you said where to put your rain gauge and where not to put your rain gauge. I also like your blog post about “How to make a rain gauge“ because you added what you need to make a rain gauge and how to do it step by step.I've never done anything similar to this blog post before. I also commented on someone from your school called Melepalu and I posted a comment on something just like this blog post
    Did you decide to make a rain gauge for a project for something?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.